Fore Abbey

Error message

  • Warning: file_put_contents(temporary://file23Wdua): failed to open stream: "DrupalTemporaryStreamWrapper::stream_open" call failed in file_unmanaged_save_data() (line 1899 of /var/www/vhosts/122/140178/webspace/httpdocs/includes/file.inc).
  • The file could not be created.
  • Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in gmap_regenerate_markers() (line 555 of /var/www/vhosts/122/140178/webspace/httpdocs/sites/all/modules/gmap/gmap.module).

The spectacular ruins of the Abbey are located just a few minutes from Loughstown Holiday Village. A monastery was founded on the site around 630AD by St Fechin. The tiny ruined Church of St Fechin and the later Anchorite's Chapel still remain and forms part of the legend of the "Seven Wonders of Fore": "the stone raised by St Fechin's prayer." Legend has it that the massive stone had been raised into place through the power of St Fechin's prayers.

Around 1200AD, a Priory was founded in the valley and monks were brought from a Benedictine monastery in France. The remains of the monastery and the extensive ruins are a major heritage site and attract many thousands of visitors each year. Fore Village – a beautiful little village has a coffee shop with information centre and public toilets, and a pub. There is parking available for several cars near the church and priory ruins.

Javascript is required to view this map.